The mornings are for you!
You will receive three surf lessons a week, guided by one of the best surf instructors in Muizenberg.
Every week you will go on one tour around the Cape Peninsula.
Unlimited surf gear rental.
The afternoons are for you and the children! You will help coach the making waves children in the water in Muizenberg or help mentor the children in the classroom in Masiphumelele.
During your entire stay, making waves coordinator is 24/7 available to you to provide support where needed.
• You will help assist the making waves children in the water through interactive surf sessions
• Surf sessions take place two to three times per week after school in Muizenberg
• You will help the making waves children with their homework and guide them with their English and Maths
• You will design life skills activities and fun games to expand their horizon
• Classroom sessions take place two to three times per week in our classroom in Masiphumelele township
If you have unique skills or ideas that you would like to share with making waves before, during or after your stay, please let us know. We are always open to new and cool ideas! Some examples of skills and ideas that previous volunteers contributed: organisation of photography workshop, organisation of painting workshop, production of making waves video clips, assistance with social media, assistance with PR and advertising, initiation of fundraiser among family and friends for the Foundation.
Monday 16 December 2019 - Thursday 16 January 2020
Monday 15 June 2020 - Wednesday 8 July 2020
- Explore Cape Point Nature Reserve, the most southwestern tip of Africa, and hike to Dias Beach
- Table Mountain hike where we take you on a beautiful route off the beaten track
- Cruise along the coast to Betty’s Bay and see the penguin colony
- Lions head sunrise hike followed by a refreshing morning dive into the ocean between the boulders at Bakoven beach
- Explore the museum district to learn more about the history of Cape Town and South Africa and taste the best Capetonian coffee
- Silvermine Nature Reserve, where we hike to Elephants Eye with stunning views followed by a refreshing swim in the dam
- Surf tours for the more adventurous and capable surfers
- Boat cruise from Hout Bay to Seal Island to experience Cape Town by boat and learn more about the seal colonies
Must be able to swim
Good with children
• Sunday departurture transfer from accommodation to Cape Town/ Airport
• CAPE TOWN ORIENTATION: Friday Cape Town city walking tour which covers South Africa history, social skills, transport, safety and projects, Transport and Lunch included.
Saturday Cape Penisular tour. Explore the beauty that is Hout bay, the famous chapmans peak drive, Cape point nature reserve and hang out with the african penguins on bolders beach. Transprt and Lunch included.
•All paperwork, placement and liaising with Volunteer Program
• Appointed co-ordinators for duration of program
• Accommodation: volunteer house/ host family. Volunteer house
• Two meals a day - Breakfast and Dinner
•Donation per month to the Volunteer Project, to assist in their funding.
•A South African sim card that works on a pay-as-you-go top up system
• Bi weekly socials for volunteers to get together and meet other volunteers Orientation dinner
• Accommodation in dorm style room
• Local support including a 24-hour emergency number
• Electronic volunteer certificate (printed copy on request)
• Donation to the project
Friday orientation transfer
Saturday Cape Peninsular transfer
In Muizenberg, volunteers are hosted at African Soul Surfer – a hostel that eats, breathes and sleeps surfing. It has spectacular sea views with waves right at your doorstep; it is located amidst the surf action at the Surfers’ Corner. The hostel is a melting pot for travellers from around the world. Within walking distance from the hostel you can find a wide variety of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, supermarkets, food markets, surf shops and the local train and bus station.
lunch is at your own cost