You will be based in Orlando one of oldest suburbs of Soweto
The township with a population of over 4 million is the biggest black urban settlement in South Africa, with a rich history. Soweto was the centre of political campaigns aimed at the overthrow of the apartheid state. The June 16th, 1976 student uprising, which began the slow meltdown of apartheid, started in Soweto and spread to the rest of the country.
Sowetans have a strong sense of community. They would say that Soweto has soul, and who wouldn't want to live in a place with soul.
You will be introduced to a melting pot of South African cultures
and have an opportunity to experience it..
Use your initiative & skills working at primary school with children (Age 6 to 12 helping to build capacity where it is needed, while providing the care and attention these young people of South Africa need to help them create a better life for themselves
Get involved with a variety of community projects, meet local personalities & be part of our community
Soweto has a vibrant night life. A Jazz evening is not to be missed.
Your evenings and weekends are free to explore the metropolis of Joburg and the surrounding areas:
• Wild life including the big 5 are only an hour away
• The mighty Magalisberg mountain range home to the” cradle of mankind” is just up the road.
• Mountain and rivers walks and hikes are plentiful and safe to explore.
• .Be part of the urban revival of Johannesburg
• Visit the many museums and art galleries
• Joburg is the city of gold, people came from all over the world during the gold rush and left some of their culture behind for you to experience
• Music, art and crafts are abundant
• Joburg is a culinary delight with food from all part of Africa and the world freely available ..
To participate in the daily schedule of the school and the different classes .
Specific focus will be put on:
- Basic computer literacy in the school’s computer lab for grade 3-4. Age?
- Participate and educate learners in life skills subjects such as creative arts and performing arts. The volunteer will also have a theme day about their country and culture to expose the learners.
- Participate and assist in the school kitchen where meals are prepared for all learners. The school also has a wish to run their own garden project to make sure they always have access to fresh vegetables and fruits. This will ensure food security and teach the children how to grow their own vegetables therefore making the project sustainable.
• Expanded Support System
This is a government funded after school program which includes sports practice in soccer, netball and volleyball as well as home work assistance. The volunteer will assist in these activities with a special focus on the home work tutoring.
• The Youth Club
To participate in the club’s activities 2 times a week with children from the age of 6 up to teen agers. Plan and execute activities with the local youth club leader with a focus on arts and culture activities such as:
- Drawing and painting
- Poems and story telling
- Dance and theatre
The volunteer will also be expected to participate in sports and leisure game activities. The volunteer will also take part whenever there is a “greening activity” such as tree planting or a clean-up campaign etc.
• Children’s event project
The volunteer could together with the local youth club leader plan and execute a bigger event for the children.
Project starts every Monday except during South African School Holidays.
Arrival every Thursday for FREE 3 Day Orientation
Start date every Monday except during South African School Holidays
South African School Holidays 2020, project closed
23 March - 1 April 2020
15 June - 8 July 2020
21 September - 30 September 2020
7 December - 13 January 2021
However, if there are holiday camps running, there will be work during the above holiday periodsProject is open Monday-Friday 8.00-16:00.
Sometimes half day on one weekend day will be required for special Youth Club activities.
• Assist a local primary school with basic computer skills, life skills subjects, creative arts and performing arts.
• Take part in the nutritionist program of the primary school by assisting in the school’s feeding scheme and assist build and maintain a vegetable garden project for food security.
• Assist in programs for a meaningful spare time after school – this is done both through the government funded after school program including sports and homework assistance as well with the local Youth club with activities including arts, dance, reading and games.
• Plan, run and execute a project with the children and the local Youth Club leader such as a “mini festival”, “Fun Day”, Carnival, educational trips etc. .
• Volunteering in Soweto offers an unique opportunity to stay in a vibrant township rich in history.
• ability to work with young children
• be self confident and apply discipline
• be creative and solve problems
• be able to work in a group
• entertain children with minimum resources
• ability to adapt and to respect the different cultures
-Johannesburg ORIENTATION: includes :3 nights accommodation, 2 meals a day. The orientation covers everything the volunteers need to know about staying in South Africa (from social skills to transport and safety), bus trip into Johannesburg , (on the Friday), walking tour of the city lunch , a train ride back to Soweto and a full day trip of Soweto on bike or by tuc tuc (on the Saturday).
- All paperwork, placement and liaising with Volunteer Program
- Appointed Supervisor for duration of program
- Two meals a day - Breakfast and Dinner
- Donation per month to the Volunteer Project, to assist in their funding.
- A South African sim card that works on a pay-as-you-go top up system
- Monthly socials for volunteers to get together and meet other volunteers (cost depends on social)
- Certificate & Report on Volunteer`s Program should this be required for studies or other purposes
- Medical Insurance which must include work, emergency evacuation. Please make sure you understand how your medical insurance works in South Africa as we will be unable to pay for any doctors accounts or the like in lieu of being refunded by the medical scheme
- Weekend excursions
- Local Transport
- Towel and toiletries
- Accommodation if Volunteer arrives before start date
- Transport to Accommodation if Volunteer arrives before start date
Local "free time" transport for volunteers own account
Dormitory accommodation, in trendy volunteer house Communal kitchen, bathrooms, lounge, garden with lapa, fire place and entertainment area.
- Lunch is to volunteers own account
- Supper is a cooked meal provided by the Backpackers. We cater for vegetarians and certain allergies on request.